Thursday 29 March 2018

Introducing Jess Martin




A second Jess joined our team at the end of last year, not to be confused with Jess Davies, our Vet Nurse covering Hayley Walters' maternity leave.  Allow Dr Jess Martin to introduce herself...

"I am a Lecturer at the R(D)SVS, University of Edinburgh and a Clinical Research Associate of the Roslin Institute. I have a long standing research interest in animal consciousness and pain, especially relating this to commercial pig and poultry production. My work in this area has spanned both physiological and behavioural welfare impacts of intensive livestock systems to on-farm despatching methods, as well as full scale animal slaughter. I also have a strong investment in AgriTech innovation to enhance animal welfare as well as production for livestock species. I have worked on a wide range of research projects related to animal pain, welfare assessment, behaviour, animal ethics, animal slaughter and on-farm killing, and animal transport. Alongside my research I teach and provide expert support in experimental design and data analysis for staff and students at R(D)SVS. I am currently the Animal Welfare Research Network Champion for the University of Edinburgh.

My current work is evaluating the welfare impact of a novel stunning technique (Low Atmospheric Pressure stunning) for commercial pigs, to hopefully identify a more humane alternative to CO2 stunning in pigs. This project is being funded by Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Humane Slaughter Association (HSA) and is in collaboration with University of Glasgow and SRUC."





No comments:

Post a Comment