Monday 7 January 2019

Introducing Kirstin McIlvaney to the JMICAWE team

Today was Kirstin's first official day with JMICAWE, where she will work alongside Director Tamsin Coombs as Co-Ordinator on the On Campus Applied Animal Behaviour & Welfare MSc.

By way of an introduction, here is Kirstin in her own words:-


During a gap year spent working as an international show jumping groom I developed a keen interest in equine behaviour and modern training methods. This led me to complete a Masters in Zoology at the University of Glasgow which further widened my interest into the behaviour and welfare of other of domesticated species. I joined the Animal Behaviour and Welfare team at SRUC as a research assistant shortly after graduating, where I spent 14 years, initially working with Prof. Cathy Dwyer on a transgenerational study of maternal behaviour and neonatal development in sheep. This study required training Scottish Blackface sheep to stand still for regular ultrasound scan measurements to be made, which tested all of my experience working with flighty prey species as well as most of my patience!   

I worked with a huge variety of species during my time at SRUC as well as the animal production systems in which they are kept. I provided technical assistance and experimental management on many projects including the development of welfare indicators, out wintering beef cattle, factors influencing pig aggression and investigating the role of maternal care on positive welfare.

With a particular interest in non-invasive means of data collection (such as the use of sensors to monitor welfare) my attention has followed the role new technologies can bring and how we manage data collected from them, which focussed me on improving the efficiency of data collection as well as promoting high standards of data management at SRUC.

I have been involved in supporting students with their own research projects for many years and look forward to sharing my wide range of experience and my enthusiasm for high standards of practical research practices in my new role as MSc Co-ordinator.

A warm welcome to Kirstin, we all look forward to working with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment