Tuesday 11 November 2014

MSc AABAW student wins Dissertation prize

JMICAWE is delighted that one of our MSc AABAW 2013-14 students, Kathryn, has been awarded the UFAW Best Dissertation prize for the Programme.

Kathryn said ‘I feel very honoured to receive the UFAW award. I feel very fortunate that I was able to participate in a ...unique research opportunity with Dr Würbel's research group in Bern, Switzerland. The search for positive facial expressions in rats required dedication and while this project was often challenging, I enjoyed learning to work with the animals and explore this distinctive area of animal welfare science. I was thrilled to find results which indicated that during the positive "tickling" treatment, the rats' ears changed colour, becoming more pink, and the rats also had a more relaxed ear position. However, my findings would not have been possible without the immense support of the research group in Bern. My supervisor, Dr Luca Melotti, provided excellent guidance and advice throughout the project. The AABAW Masters program, and my time in Switzerland working with laboratory rats, have both been incredible experiences. I am very glad to have had this opportunity to learn and grow as a scientist.

Many Congratulations to Kathryn, and thank you to UFAW (www.ufaw.org.uk) for their support of the MSc programme.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Universities-Federation-for-Animal-Welfare/1389320027991335
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment